churches & chapels into pubs
Posted: 25 September 2013 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-07-29

In Broadstairs, a 1600 grade 2 listed building of an origional small chapel/ local old fashioned bookshop became a pub. The Community were unaware of this until I highlighted it within the Media by a letter. It created much anomosity against me & my Husband at the time by supprters for even raising the issue and we are still making waves today. For what ever reason English Heritage and various Council Departments who are meant to looking after this building, all appear to have been hushed & sat upon by whom I do not know, and seem oblivious in allowing this building to be utilised in this way. We are seeing events of loud bands playing loud music causing vibration to the norman flintwork of this building, together with opposing the erection of non planning applied for log fire & flue, a real flame candleabra with wax dripping on customers, and illuminated signage displayed onto the conservation protected street scene. Our complaints to the Council then force retrospective planning applications to be made, with interested parties sending in letters of objections which appear now to be refused by planners on reflection. However, we have not yet seen any Court enforcements operated as yet by the Council for their removal, seeing these encroachments still installed, but now wondering if planners are beginning to see the errors of their Judgement who knows? In our research of the building’s history, a local Historian appears to have discovered that within Canterbury Catherdral’s archives the paperwork has gone missing and he is now taking the matter up formally with them. My Husband & I have also discovered that the Charity Comissioners passed a protective order, ratified at the Town Council back in the 1930’s not to allow the SALE of the ground underneath the chapel due to a Crypt & vault present, and according to information within the Public records Office is because of 7 people buried within the vault, one being the priest at the time. My Husband spoke of this matter at the Town Council meeting, a motion was put forward for refusal to the District Council, but was not mentioned by Councillors and the planning was passed. The Media then highlighted that their was no bodies and the crypt was a war shelter. We know this to be untrue and our inquiries of de-consecrated ground & bodies to the Ministry of Justice shows no such info is recorded to say bodies were removed but does not seem to wish to assist us further. why?. In the origional planning application we were given to beleive that it was a “drinking establishment” ancillary to the bookshop, and was a new business venture for the “economy”. The community thought coffee?, tea? NO, seems a micro pub instead and went on to say an artisan meeting place to read the books. However the real activity soon became obvious and took on a new twist, this was a new PUB instead and was only officially declared to us by a Council Officer after the numerous anti-social complaints were given to them.. I am actually informed by an Officer that the place will not catch on fire with ” lighted candles” as the books are damp anyway. The list of issues goes on. Complaints from neighbours homes & business from log fire smoke, loud music and fighting is the consequnce of this planning. There are at least 7 pubs in this street, 2 were for sale at the time of this takeover, and this should have been a Historic community Heritage building instead and I feel would have enhanced the Community as not everyone wishes to drink.. Our MP is aware and we cannot understand the non support for someone meant to be interested in History. I hope people support having a right to say on planning changes, as without a Community input, seems planners dont always get it right….or are they being manipulated higher up?. This has worsened our street scene….do we need every small shop, or chapel/empty church to become a pub, micro pub or ale house? I thought origional pubs owners were finding it difficult? We are now finding pubs closing being turned into homes or flats? and our small shops or churches becoming pubs? crazy!!

Posted: 25 September 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-07-29
beaconsfield - 25 September 2013 01:43 PM

In Broadstairs, a 1600 grade 2 listed building of an origional small chapel/ local old fashioned bookshop became a pub. The Community were unaware of this until I highlighted it within the Media by a letter. It created much anomosity against me & my Husband at the time by supprters for even raising the issue and we are still making waves today. For what ever reason English Heritage and various Council Departments who are meant to looking after this building, all appear to have been hushed & sat upon by whom I do not know, and seem oblivious in allowing this building to be utilised in this way. We are seeing events of loud bands playing loud music causing vibration to the norman flintwork of this building, together with opposing the erection of non planning applied for log fire & flue, a real flame candleabra with wax dripping on customers, and illuminated signage displayed onto the conservation protected street scene. Our complaints to the Council then force retrospective planning applications to be made, with interested parties sending in letters of objections which appear now to be refused by planners on reflection. However, we have not yet seen any Court enforcements operated as yet by the Council for their removal, seeing these encroachments still installed, but now wondering if planners are beginning to see the errors of their Judgement who knows? In our research of the building’s history, a local Historian appears to have discovered that within Canterbury Catherdral’s archives the paperwork has gone missing and he is now taking the matter up formally with them. My Husband & I have also discovered that the Charity Comissioners passed a protective order, ratified at the Town Council back in the 1930’s not to allow the SALE of the ground underneath the chapel due to a Crypt & vault present, and according to information within the Public records Office is because of 7 people buried within the vault, one being the priest at the time. My Husband spoke of this matter at the Town Council meeting, a motion was put forward for refusal to the District Council, but was not mentioned by Councillors and the planning was passed. The Media then highlighted that their was no bodies and the crypt was a war shelter. We know this to be untrue and our inquiries of de-consecrated ground & bodies to the Ministry of Justice shows no such info is recorded to say bodies were removed but does not seem to wish to assist us further. why?. In the origional planning application we were given to beleive that it was a “drinking establishment” ancillary to the bookshop, and was a new business venture for the “economy”. The community thought coffee?, tea? NO, seems a micro pub instead and went on to say an artisan meeting place to read the books. However the real activity soon became obvious and took on a new twist, this was a new PUB instead and was only officially declared to us by a Council Officer after the numerous anti-social complaints were given to them.. I am actually informed by an Officer that the place will not catch on fire with ” lighted candles” as the books are damp anyway. The list of issues goes on. Complaints from neighbours homes & business from log fire smoke, loud music and fighting is the consequnce of this planning. There are at least 7 pubs in this street, 2 were for sale at the time of this takeover, and this should have been a Historic community Heritage building instead and I feel would have enhanced the Community as not everyone wishes to drink.. Our MP is aware and we cannot understand the non support for someone meant to be interested in History. I hope people support having a right to say on planning changes, as without a Community input, seems planners dont always get it right….or are they being manipulated higher up?. This has worsened our street scene….do we need every small shop, or chapel/empty church to become a pub, micro pub or ale house? I thought origional pubs owners were finding it difficult? We are now finding pubs closing being turned into homes or flats? and our small shops or churches becoming pubs? crazy!!